Saturday 13 September 2008

Anne Hathaway Speaks

Photobucket
Less than a month after the widely reported legal troubles that entangled her former presumptive fiancé, accused money launderer Raffaello Follieri, Anne Hathaway was putting on a brave face as she and Steve Carrel blithely opened their summer comedy, Get Smart.

But underneath the smiles, W magazine reports in its October cover story, the actress, 25, looked careworn.

"Right now I don't have the wherewithal to be anything except professional," she said at the time. "As soon as I found out about the arrest, I had to get on a plane to Mexico to do a press tour for Get Smart. And then I spent a week in shock at a friend's house. And then I had to go back and do more press, and I haven't stopped since."

On Wednesday in a Manhattan federal court, Follieri, 30, pleaded guilty to all 14 criminal counts against him.

As for Hathaway, speaking last summer, she also professed to being as prepared as someone could be in such a situation, given that her life, both professionally and personally, has been considerably non-stop.

"At different stages of my life, I've felt I've been two ages simultaneously," she said. "I'd be a professional working adult and also a typical 13-year-old. Right now I have the distinct feeling that I'm two ages again, and the older part of me that I relied on many times in the past in difficult moments, that's the part that got me here today. That's the part that says, 'You do your job, you keep your head up.' "

While she skirted specifics about her ex, with whom she was about to start house-hunting, she does says that she was in need of starting some aspects of her life all over again.

"I have to find a place to live," she said in a deadpan manner, before what were described as tears formed in her eyes and emotion took over her.

"It's a situation where the rug was pulled out from under me all of a sudden," she says. "But just as suddenly, my friends threw another rug back under me. One said, 'Go stay at my house.' And Steve Carell stepped up for me during an interview when someone asked a question [about the criminal investigation]. He said, 'At some point you're going to have to talk about this time in your life. You don't have to do it this week. I'll take care of anything that comes your way.' "

Reflected Hathaway, wiping away a tear, "I've been shown such kindness. Not everyone gets that. A lot of people go through tough times alone."


SOURCE: People

No comments: